SCI REMC’s Operation RoundUp Awards $50,832 in Community Grants
June 12, 2019 – Martinsville, IN – South Central Indiana REMC (SCI REMC) Operation RoundUp Board of Trustees recently awarded $50,832 to 18 non-profit organizations in Brown, Morgan, Monroe, and Owen counties, bringing the total to more than $3.2 million that has been given to the community since the program began in 1995.
Established as an extension of the electric cooperative principle “neighbor helping neighbor,” the electric co-op’s members round up their electric bills to the next even dollar. This spare change accumulates in a community fund, resulting in thousands of dollars being given in grants each year. Members who participate contribute an average of only $6 per year, demonstrating that little things really do make a difference.
This quarter, grants were awarded to the following organizations:
- Barbara B. Jordan YMCA - $2,000 for replacement picnic tables
- Boys & Girls Club Bloomington/Camp Rock - $2,000 for outdoor recreation enhancement
- Boys & Girls Club of Morgan County - $3,050 for cafeteria tables
- Brown County Humane Society - $3,900 for foundation design of new facility
- Cardinal Stage - $2,500 for Cardinal for Schools program
- Community Service Center of Morgan County/WellSpring - $1,358 for play therapy equipment
- Ellettsville Parks & Recreation Board - $1,320 for canopy tents
- HandiCapable Camp - $1,000 for camp
- Hoosiers Feeding the Hungry - $2,500 for processing fees for donated livestock and wild game
- Monroe County Historical Society - $7,929 for interactive digital exhibit
- Morgan County 4-H Robotics Club - $125 for game objects and field elements
- Mother Hubbard's Cupboard - $3,000 for emergency food assistance
- Owen County Extension Homemakers Association - $650 for Ready Readers program
- Owen County Family YMCA - $10,000 for daycare building addition
- Owen County Heritage & Culture Center - $1,500 to refurbish basement floor
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul of Brown County - $3,000 for back-to-school program
- St. Thomas More Free Clinic - $2,500 for Help for Healthier Smile program
- United Way of Monroe County - $2,500 for Real Men Read program
Operation RoundUp, a grant program sponsored by the members of SCI REMC, has to date awarded 1,176 grants to non-profit organizations in Morgan, Monroe, Owen, Brown, Putnam, Clay and Johnson counties. Previous Operation RoundUp grants have been awarded to schools, arts organizations, emergency services including fire and police departments, food banks, youth and women’s shelters, conservation clubs, animal rescues, and more. Non-profit organizations in SCI REMC’s seven counties are invited to apply for the grants, which are reviewed by a group of trustees and awarded each quarter. The next application due date is July 31, 2019. The application and additional information can be found at www.sciremc.com/roundup.