How to change a fuse or reset a breaker
- Disconnect lamps and appliances in use when circuit went out.
- Make sure your hands are dry and stand on a dry board or rubber pad, if possible. Open main switch or pull out section of panel labeled “main” in the service entrance, to cut off current while working at the branch circuit box.
- Identify the blown fuse. When a fuse blows, the transparent section becomes cloudy or blackened.
- Replace the blown fuse with a new one of proper size. The smaller sizes screw in and out just like light bulbs. If the blown fuse is a cartridge type, located in the pull-out section, it can be removed with hand pressure.
- Close the main switch, or replace pull-out section, to restore service. Throw away the blown fuse.
- To reset a circuit breaker: move handle to OFF position. Push handle past OFF position. Return handle to ON position.