“Beat the Peak” is a program designed to encourage members to become more aware of the energy they use and to reduce their energy usage during “peak” demand periods. Peak demand periods occur when the demand for electricity is the highest—weekdays, June-August, noon to 10pm, and December-February, 7-10am or 6-9pm.
During these peak periods, the REMC is charged a higher cost from our power supplier, Hoosier Energy. So, if we can all work together to help reduce the demand during these peak times, we can reduce the REMC’s power costs and minimize the increases to you on your monthly electric bill.
Here’s how the “Beat the Peak” program works:
- When the REMC determines that a peak period is approaching, we will alert all participants by e-mail, text message, or phone call as to the anticipated day and time of the peak period. This alert will be published and sent up to 24 hours before the scheduled peak period.
- The message will suggest ways to help limit your energy consumption, such as: waiting to run the dishwasher or washer & dryer, adjusting your thermostat by 3 degrees, and turning off all unneeded lights and appliances.
- Make the necessary adjustments.
- Save on your electric bill!
Sign up for Beat the Peak now!
Major factors affecting the price of electricity:
- Price of fuel needed to generate power
- Cost to comply with environmental regulations
- The demand for power
Other ways to reduce your energy consumption:
- Learn more about your home’s overall energy efficiency and areas where waste may be occurring by conducting your own energy audit. You can use some of the tools we have available on our website, such as our Home Energy Calculator. You can also view some of the other FREE energy tools available on our website under the Efficiency Resources tab.
- Visit and become familiar with Touchstone Energy’s Together We Save website, which offers energy saving tips and tools.
You may be asking yourself this question, “Why does the South Central Indiana REMC want me to reduce my consumption?” The answer is simple—SCI REMC is different than most electric utilities because it is a cooperative. Since we are a cooperative, we are owned by YOU and all the other 33,000 members that are served by the REMC. Our goal has always been to provide energy to you at the lowest possible cost while encouraging you to use this energy wisely and efficiently. If we all work together to promote wise and efficient use of this energy, we can help hold down future energy costs that you pay each month.